$45,000 to $50,000
Mem Union / Educ Activ 160400 MUN
The Memorial Union invites applications for a full-time, 1.0 FTE, 12-month, Broadcast Coordinatorposition. Reappointment is at the discretion of the Director.
Serve as the primary adviser of the Broadcast/Audio/Video Media office. Facilitates the development of an integrated vision for Broadcast Media that incorporates stakeholder perspectives, produces technologically advanced, cutting-edge programs, and uses collaborative strategies compatible with corresponding academic programs. Recruits, trains, evaluates, mentors, and problems solves as appropriate.
Serves as one of three advisers to student media. Works directly with the University Student Media Committee (USMC), which acts as the governing body for the various student media. Interprets policies and procedures established by that committee. Serves as an ex-officio member of the USMC. Formulates and organizes plans for developing and administering Student Media's programs. Oversees development of bids for broadcast services and other contracted services supporting the broadcast media programs. Maintains FCC regulations, public records and necessary files and associated training.
Leading and advising students in the development of student media that is ethically sound and culturally diverse in its practical application.
50% - Works collaboratively with staff and student leaders of broadcast media including all radio, television, video and audio production to integrate a sustainable, converged web presence for all of the Student Media programs. Continually reviews, updates, mentors and facilitates students with a platform for quasi-professional media work. Leads a team that delivers the state-of-the-art in news and media communication and technology.
10% - Works with the staff of Student Media in formulating and organizing plans for developing and administering student broadcast, marketing/advertising, learning assessment, and convergence programs. Ensures compliance with FCC regulations and other regulation and agreements.
10% - Serve as administrator of Broadcast Media facilities and equipment inventory. Assist in the development of bids for supplies and equipment necessary for the operation of the media programs. Administer the SM departmental the long-range plan for facility use by media programs and plan for the accumulation of reserve funds adequate to ensure the replacement of inventory.
10%- Represent OSU at meetings and within organizations specific to broadcast and video/audio media programs. Serves on committees as needed.
Position Duties (continued):
10% - Teach practicum courses and programs essential to the media programs offered by the University's New Media program.
10% - Assist in developing and coordinating activities, workshops and institutes for aspiring journalists through camps and conferences hosted at OSU each year. Work directly with pre-college students during camps and workshops.
Working Conditions/Work Schedule:
Ability to lift, carry, push and pull equipment that weighs up to 30 lbs.
Must be able to tolerate loud music and shared person space (computer, desk, etc.) with others.
Some evening hours required.
Occasional weekend duties.
- Bachelor's degree
- Three to five years of broadcast journalism or equivalent
- Prior experience in multiple media formats (digital publishing, broadcast, web, etc.)
This position is designated as a critical, security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be deemed fit for duty at placement and while serving in the position
- Prior experience in a higher education setting broadcast, journalism, audio and video duties
- Ability to create positive energy (motivation) in both individuals and groups
- Able to define realistic, specific goals and objectives, to prioritize objectives
- Able to develop unique and novel solutions to problems, use intuition and innovative thinking to give birth to new ideas, to present information and train students in an attention-getting and interesting manner
- Able to modify one's own behavioral style to respond to the needs of others and support team efforts while maintaining one's own objectives and sense of dignity
- Able to work with people in such a manner as to build high morale and group commitments to goals and objectives
- Able to influence leadership values and access learning outcomes in a desired direction; to exhibit judgment in leading others to worthwhile objectives
-A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity
Scholarly Outcomes for Position (academic faculty only)
Indicate how you intend to recruit for this search:
Competitive / External - open to ALL qualified applicants
For Full Consideration Date
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range
A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity is:
A preferred qualification
Special Instructions to Applicants
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A resume/CV
2) A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
3) Please provide three work samples including video/audio media.
4) Provide three letters of recommendation. Recommendations from students may serve as one of the three letters. (Upload as 'Other Document')
For additional information please contact: Rick Brand 122 Kidder Hall Corvallis, OR 97331 or ****
OSU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Finalists for this position will be required to complete a criminal history questionnaire. Offers of employment will be contingent upon a satisfactory criminal history check.
Preview of Posting Specific Questions
Responses to the Posting Specific Questions are limited to 1200 characters when answered within the system space provided.
Please answer the posting specific questions as thoroughly and completely as possible. The following options are available:
1) Answer the questions in the space provided.
2) Attach your answers as a separate document under Other Document on the documents page of the posting when applying.
If you choose option 2, when answering the posting specific questions, you must enter into the provided text box a message that states Uploaded answers as Other Document.
-Describe how you would guide students toward the integration of video/audio/radio and television media with other Student Media print and Internet media.
Quicklink for Posting
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.