Palo Alto, CA, United States
Jul 16, 2021
Specialist, Contracts Management and Intellectual Property
Reporting to: Sr. Director, Legal Affairs & Corporate Counsel
Location: Palo Alto, CA
The Specialist, Contracts Management and Intellectual Property will support the Legal and Intellectual Property Teams of ReCor Medical, Inc. The Law Department provides centralized legal services and support for ReCor Medical and its affiliates and subsidiaries worldwide. This full-time position requires a self-motivated, flexible candidate who likes a challenge, with excellent interpersonal skills. We are looking for a great teammate who is dedicated, detail oriented, and passionate about understanding our products and services and who has a “whatever it takes” attitude.
This individual should be comfortable supporting multiple departments and have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and business needs in a rapidly changing environment. Other responsibilities will include participating in projects and initiatives of the Legal and Compliance departments. Join us and you will work with a collaborative team and can tackle complicated problems in a fast-paced environment. This role will be responsible for contract drafting, negotiation, contract management and intellectual property matters. The successful candidate will be part of a team of legal professionals with a mission to deliver top-quality legal solutions to business issues, while leveraging technology to increase efficiency.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Manage overall contracting pipeline and workflow and develop and maintain contract templates and contract training materials.
• With attorney supervision, draft, review and negotiate wide variety of contracts.
• Coordinate with in-house counsel, outside counsel, and inventors to prepare and file patent applications and all associated required documents with USPTO, including preparing, with attorney supervision, information disclosure statements, assignments, inventor declarations,
application data sheets, fees, and transmittal letters.
• Support freedom to operate and due diligence projects.
• Prepare patent family trees.
• Calculate due dates, docket, run docket status reports, track deadlines, and provide reminders to inside and outside counsel regarding US and foreign due dates.
• Calculate expiration dates and term extensions.
• Intake and review invention disclosure forms for completeness, coordinate invention disclosure meetings, record minutes and decisions made during invention review meetings, and communicate decisions to inventors.
• Analyze USPTO Office Actions and prep responses using attorney templates and prepare other required papers.
• Administer ReCor Medical’s Innovation Recognition Policy, including ordering plaques, scheduling luncheons, and distributing financial awards.
• Assist in monitoring and payment of patent annuities and maintenance fees.
• Manage and organize Law Department files, including processing incoming and outgoing correspondence.
• Work closely with in-house counsel in the design, development and on-going maintenance and enforcement of ReCor global trademark program.
• Serve as the primary liaison with outside trademark counsel on clearance, registration, and maintenance of ReCor’s global trademark portfolio, reviewing trademark applications, prosecution documents, oppositions, and non-use cancellations for conformity with guidelines established by ReCor’s in-house counsel and Marketing teams.
• Coordinate the legal hold process and gathering of evidence in support of trademark and patent prosecution and litigation proceedings.
• Assist in preparing and monitoring the global intellectual property budget.
• Identify opportunities to improve business processes and devise plans to implement appropriate changes.
• Support the Legal and Intellectual Property Team with other projects as required to meet ReCor’s evolving business needs.
• Play a central role in implementing and ongoing support of a contract lifecycle management (CLM) platform and training of company employees on the platform.
• Assist with implementing, training company employees on, and enforcing the company contracts, financial authority, and document retention policies.
• Support the legal contract management process by drafting agreements using approved company templates, tracking contract status, routing documents for signatures, and archiving and maintaining executed contracts.
• Assist with resolving inquiries from internal stakeholders relating to status of contract negotiation.
• Negotiate non-disclosure agreements, master service agreements, consulting agreements and other agreements (depending on experience).
• Recommend and coordinate the implementation of new procedures for the contracts administration process.
• Archiving and maintaining other legal records.
• Support submission of filings, collect and organize information, and conduct research as necessary to support state licensing efforts.
• Provide support to in-house attorneys for various projects as well as administrative tasks and regulatory filings.
• 7+ years of relevant contracts and US and foreign intellectual property paralegal experience, preferably in-house in a high growth life sciences or technology company
• Significant experience with contract management and other records management systems
• Have sound business and legal judgment in ambiguous situations as well as the ability to identify when counsel should be consulted; be a practical and proactive problem solver
• Expertise in contract drafting and negotiations
• Excellent organization and multitasking skills to prioritize multiple competing projects, and follow through and meet quick turnaround times
• Ability to understand general business operations and issues beyond the scope of basic legal issues
• Clear communicator with excellent written, verbal, and listening skills
• Team player with common sense, a good sense of humor and a desire to learn
• Knowledgeable in US and foreign patent prosecution and docketing, with basic understanding of and interest in trademarks
• Experience in US and PCT filings guidelines and requirements
• Strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive, 365, etc.), DocuSign, Internet)
• Advanced experience using and maintaining CLM systems (e.g., ContractWorks, Ariba, etc.)
Nice to Haves
• Paralegal certificate or JD
Equal Employment Opportunity
At ReCor Medical, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
E-mail resume to HR: Careers@recormedical.com